Saturday, July 16, 2011

Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen

Well, don't have undo pride, and don't be prejudiced by your first impressions.

This is my first time reading the novel, and I'm sure I will read it again. I have no doubt it will be enjoyable on different levels with each reading, and I feel that Mr. Darcy's person needs to be allowed to simmer and distill until I can feel as fondly toward him as so many others seem to. At first reading, I feel Elizabeth and Darcy still have a lot of work ahead to make him acceptably civil. I do not yet feel the incredible endearment so many women feel toward him.

I read the book within 24 hours - from 2:00 yesterday afternoon to 2:00 this afternoon - similar to the 25 hours I read Sense and Sensibility in on Monday and Tuesday this week, and Peter pan during the day on Thursday. I knew the story of Sense and Sensibility previously, but I did not know the story of Pride and Prejudice. I have often heard the name "Mr. Darcy" and recognized it immediately, but beyond that I was entirely unfamiliar with it.

I did find Mr. Collins to be a particularly disturbing fellow. If I personally met Mr. Collins and Mr. Darcy both the same day and was forced to choose between them that night, I should undoubtedly choose Mr. Darcy's public weaknesses (haughtiness) over Mr. Collins' (abusive humility and complete lack of self awareness).

It is a beautiful and engaging story, filled with interesting twists and reversals. The emotion in it is moving; I was especially touched by the emotions surrounding Lydia's errors of judgment at Brighton. The contrast of Jane, Eliza, and Mr. Bennet's feelings with those of Lydia and Mrs. Bennet are especially poignant. Kitty and Lydia, it seems, are true to their selfish, silly selves in circumstances of any importance.

(Spoiler Alert - this paragraph only.) The main emotional story for most people is how Elizabeth overcomes her prejudice against Mr. Darcy and is able to be humble enough to fall in love. I personally didn't feel the conviction within myself (which probably means that I am even more prejudiced than Eliza). Austen's genius in using Lady DeBourgh to speed up the union is wonderfully engaging though.

I have since been able to watch the 1980 mini-series of Pride and Prejudice and enjoyed Elizabeth, Charlotte, and Mrs. Bennet's characters especially (and this review). The scene at Pemberly where Elizabeth is to tell Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner of Lydia's indiscretion moved me to tears. I look forward to watching other Pride and Prejudice movies soon to see the different interpretations.

No comments: