Monday, April 30, 2012

The Devil in the White City


As the cover says, "Murder, magic, and madness at the fair that changed America." I highly recommend reading this with breath mints on hand - otherwise the bile in your throat might overcome you. The creepy sick-minded murderer info is broken up by parallel stories in the city that will surprise, delight, and intrigue the reader.

I loved the format of this book and truly enjoyed all the history and knowledge about the process of building and maintaining the fair and its attendance. The things in popular culture today that stem from the World's Columbian Exposition of 1892 were startling to me. The fact that I see architecture in my city every day that was designed or heavily influenced by the lead architect of the fair was a revelation to me. I realized that I have read about Daniel Burnham before without being able to appreciate him or tie his name to anything specific. Now I know.


No comments: