Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Speaker for the Dead, by Orson Scott Card


Gripping and powerful, Card's new world brings the dilemma Ender faced in Ender's Game back to the scene, but from an adult perspective. Also introduced are the complexities of family, religious, government, and community relationships. I love this quote from Card's introduction:

"But I hope that in the lives of Ender Wiggin, Novinha, Miro, Ela, Human, Jane, the hive queen, and so many others in this book, you will find stories worth holding in your memory, perhaps even in your heart. That's the transaction that counts more than bestseller lists, royalty statements, awards, or reviews. Because in the pages of this book, you and I will meet one-on-one, my mind and yours, and you will enter a world of my making and dwell there, not as a character that I control, but as a person with a mind of your own. you will make of my story what you need it to be, if you can. I hope my tale is true enough and flexible enough that you can make it into a world worth living in."

The biology and study of the alien species on this planet are fascinating. The studies of inter-personal relationships and the power that grief and truth have on the lives of the people is wonderfully played out. There is definitely closeness and desire for others but no erotic descriptions and the adultery is cast as properly devastating. The conflict created when government tries to control science is both repulsive and hilarious. Demosthenes, as always, is vibrantly clear in her analysis of situations. And then there's Jane. Oh, I'm excited to read the last two books in this series and learn more about Jane. She is a somebody who came from nobody and can influence everybody, but has a wonderful sense of conscience and is a great judge of character. She knows almost everything and can use that information! I guess I admire her a bit.

No comments: