Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Artemis Fowl Series, by Eoin Colfer


I really enjoyed this series. Artemis develops throughout and we learn interesting things about the other characters that make them more complex too. The Eternity Code has the most complex genius-required components, and was especially intriguing. The Time Paradox drew a lot of emotional energy from me - between his mother being on her death bed and the animal abuse that was going on, it was a little bit rough. Artemis also comes face to face with his 9 year old self, and it is painful for him and the reader to realize just what he was like.

I read The Time Paradox and The Atlantis Complex in the same day, and Atlantis Complex was a easy-breezy read comparatively, with fewer issues, lives, and emotions at stake. It takes place over only a day or two, and feels very incomplete. It is basically the first half of the finale - the 'To Be Continued' image was flashing across my mind's eye at the end of the book. There is a problem that threatens the elven underworld that Artemis is able to resolve, but I felt that this book was the most predictable (probably because I'd just come from the emotional whiplash of Time Paradox, and also because I'm picking up on the Fowl and Colfer M.O.)

I am excited to read the final book when it is published and see how Colfer blends new unknowns with the known quantities he's foreshadowed through the series. I read the last six books Thursday-Monday: one each day and the last two on Monday. I must admit that my curiosity is piqued about what the final threat to the world will be and if Holly and Artemis will follow the precedent set by the villain in The Atlantis Complex.

No comments: